Fermented veggies do not even make your food longer durable, it even makes less rubbish for the environment. Moreover, the taste is amazing and you have a lot of health benefits from fermented food.
For your own homemade fermented tomatoes you need:
- 700ml-glass with lit
- 450g cherry tomatoes
- 3 garlic gloves
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 leaves of basil
- 500ml water
- 10g salt
This is how to prepare your delicious fermented tomatoes:
- Wash tomatoes
- Use lukewarm water and dissolve the salt inside
- Peel garlic and cut into small pieces
- Hack basil leaves
- Put all ingredients inside the glass and add tomatoes on top
- Fill the salty water on top until all tomatoes are covered.
- Now, close the glass carefully until the first resistance to make sure that gas, which appears during fermentation, is able to escape
- The tomatoes need 4-5 days to ferment on room temperature. Now you can eat them or let them ferment another 3 weeks. It is important to store the tomatoes cool after 4-5 days of fermenting. After 1-2 weeks the tomatoes get soft and have the perfect consistency for soups or sauces
We wish you a lot of fun with fermenting!