HOW TO GET RELIEF FROM MIGRAINE? 7 USEFUL HACKS FOR ACUTE SYMPTOMS + 3 PREVENTION TIPS
Migraine episode symptoms
How you can know you are attacked by a migraine? Do you experience throbbing headache, often on one side of the head and accompanied (before and/or during) with symptoms like nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and sound? Than the answer is yes, this is likely to be migraine.
When a migraine strikes, you’ll do practically anything to end it. Because it is often more than “just a headache”, it may exhaust and disable you for several hours.
Migraine attack warnings
One or two days before a migraine, you might notice subtle changes that warn of an upcoming migraine. These include:
- mood changes, from depression to euphoria
- food cravings
- neck stiffness
- increased thirst and urination
- frequent yawning
Start to prevent the development of the migraine episoda as soon as you notice these warnings.
Hacks for acute migraine symptoms
Once the migraine attack has been developed try these useful hacks.
01. Inhal levander oil
Inhal lavander oil directly or apply diluted to the temples, for 15 min.
02. Try peppermint oil
Apply a menthol solution to the forehead and temples. It reliefs migraine-associated pain, nausea, and light sensitivity.
It is proven fact acupressure may help relieve migraine-associated nausea. The most important pressure point to relieve headache pain is the space between the base of your thumb and your index finger. Other migraine acupressuere points can be find on inner wrist, the back of a jawbone, and between your leg muscles and shin bones.
04. Try a small amount of caffeine
Migraine pain may be eased by very small amount of caffeine for some poeple. But if you know any amount of caffein is our migraine trigger, avoid it at all.
05. Try ginger
Ginger may ease nausea and decrease the severity of migraine.
06. Try yoga
Yoga adds more circulation to your head and starts deep breaths, that might bring improvements. The suitable poses are for example Big Toe Pose, Bridge Pose, Corpse Pose, Plow Pose, Dolphin Pose, Downward-facing Dog Pose.
07. Go for massage
Massage helps decrease heart rate, anxiety, and cortisol levels. AS many migraine sufferers experience extreme sensitivity to touch, and many find any movement increases pain levels, deep tissue massage during an attack would be almost impossible. However, light hand or foot massage during pain could help.
Migraine prevention tips
Everyday certain things can trigger a migraine headache. There are a number of migraine triggers, such as:
- Hormonal changes in women (fluctuations in estrogen)
- Hormonal medications, such as oral contraceptives and hormone replacements (some women, however, find their migraines occurring less often when taking it).
- Drinks (alcohol, too much caffeine)
- Sensory stimuli (bright lights, sun glare, loud sounds, strong smells)
- Sleep changes, missing sleep, too much sleep…
- Physical factors, including sexual activity
- Weather changes
- Medications (oral contraceptives and vasodilators)
- Food additives (aspartame, preservative monosodium glutamate (MSG))
One of the best ways of preventing migraines is recognising the things that trigger your attack and trying to avoid them. You cannot exclude or avoid all the triggers but some of them you can activelly manage.
01. Exclude food&beverages triggers. Forgot for red wine!.
Diet plays an important role in preventing migraines. Various foods and beverages are known migraine triggers:
- foods containing nitrates (hot dogs, deli meats, bacon, and sausage)
- some cheese (blue, feta, cheddar, Parmesan, and Swiss)
- alcohol (especially red wine)
- foods that contain monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- very cold food (ice cream, iced drinks)
- processed foods
- pickled foods
- dried fruits
- some dairy products (buttermilk, sour cream, and yogurt)
02. Make lifestyle changes
Things that may help are:
- Go to bed and get up about the same time every day, including on weekends and holidays
- Exercise regularly
- Eat regular meals
- Dring enaugh, avoid dehydration
- Limit stress
- relax more, meditate.
03. Take preventive migraine supplements
You can consult with your doctor or pharmacist and start to take preventive migraine medications or better natural supplements. Many people have noticed a rapid improvement, decrease of freqency and severity of migrains when taking the enzyme serrapeptase. Serrapeptase is one of your body’s hard-working enzymes that can help you feel better. It is responsible for breaking down proteins into amino acids, which triggers the beginning of processes throughout your body.